[Gllug] OT: Anyone using Orange for broadband in North London?

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 11:46:27 UTC 2010

I am curious as to how an ADSL line sync'd at 8Mbps can deliver an 8Mbps
download?

Surely the extra 'bits' used in the TCP/IP protocol will gobble up some of the
bandwidth, resulting an effective speed-loss?

My ADSL service (with UKFSN) has proved very reliable and syncs at around
7.5Mbps, but various speedtesters report a figure a bit below 7.  At my request
some time ago, interleaving is used due to some historical problems with dodgy
street cabling, which probably accounts for some of the speed difference.

>From what I can gather you pretty close to the exchange to get the full speed.

Interestingly, I note that BT have fibre-to-the-cabinet in my area, but sadly
it seems at the moment that they have not (via Openreach presumably) opened
this up to ISPs such as UKFSN/ENTA.

As an aside, the ADSL situation at our office in Northfleet is pretty awful.
THe best that can be obtained is around 2Mbps (we are pretty much 'at the end
of the line' with 01474 changing to 01322  500 yards down the road!).
Ironically we have fibre into the building (bearing ISDN), but this cannot be
used to carry internet traffic except using BT kilostream or some such at
ludicrous cost.

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk