[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Katie T katie at coderstack.co.uk
Sun Nov 14 12:50:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:

> --------
>
> Oliver Howe writes:
>
> >What is the going hourly/daily rate for Linux Systems Administration?
> >The work involves mostly remote admin, but a few onsite visits are also
> >required per month.
>
> It's been a while since I was last contracting, but when I was,
> the rule of thumb was to take the salary you'd expect to get for
> doing the job on a permanent basis, and divide by 1000 to get an
> hourly contract rate. I don't know if that still holds in today's
> market, but it's probably going to be there or thereabouts.

The day rate "cost equivalence"  of a contractor to a permie  is generally
annual salary divides by a number in between 140 - 170 (i.e. if you take the
amount of money the company saves by avoiding ERNI, holiday and sick pay,
etc. and add it to the permie salary before converting to a day rate). Which
is hourly terms gives you a ratio of between 1100 - 1350, so that should
give you a lower bound for the hourly rate.

Katie
--
http://www.coderstack.co.uk