[Gllug] VACANCY: Software Developer/Analyst (Cloud Computing)

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:39:11 UTC 2010

On 4 November 2010 10:35, Richard Palmer <richard.d.palmer at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
>        We have a vacancy at the Centre for e-Research at King's College
>        London for a software developer/analyst. A quick job summary:
>> internal cloud (using underutilised institutional computers and storage). The
> purpose of this cloud pilot is to support researchers, both by managing
> research data (integrated with a Fedora digital repository system) and by
> allowing the execution of computation-intensive processing.

A reference to this digital repository system would be very interesting.
As a coincidence, I've been participating in a thread on the Beowulf
list regarding long-term data storage,
ie digital archaeology and the problems of accessing long dead data
when the physical drves are dead,
or the data format is forgotten and not self-documenting.
I was having a small rant about data now being stored in the cloud, so
data should expect to migrate between
several generations of physical storage type without the user needing
to know, and it should carry its metadata with itself.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk