[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Fri Nov 5 13:27:31 UTC 2010

On 2010-11-05 13:03, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 12:48 +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what department / Agency it is, but you could try the "I
>>> don't have a computer" method to get it done.
>>
>> Given the subject matter, that would be akin to someone at CERN
>> complaining about not having access to physicists :-)
>
> Take a simpler approach - "I do not have MS Word. I'm not interested in
> buying MS Word or MS Office. Your document/form cannot be opened and/or
> edited except in MS Word. Please supply a copy in RTF format".
>
> If they have Word they can certainly output documents in RTF.

They've gone down a deeply-Word-centric route where the document is a
multi-page form which gets sucked into their workflow system afterwards.
So I suspect they couldn't process the output once it was in RTF because
it wouldn't have whatever tags it's keying off.

To give you an idea how strange this is, the form has entire pages to
fill in that are one "form" box. When you click on it to enter text, you
get a tiny popup to type into. So you have to edit elsewhere and C&P
into the final doc...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk