[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Nov 14 11:21:52 UTC 2010

On 05/11/10 14:06, j.roberts wrote:
[snip]
> Try doing a tax return in anything but IE!

The self-assessment forms work perfectly for me using Firefox on Linux.

What's more I'd hold that up as an example of an exceptionally well
written piece of software.  It is well presented and works smoothly, and
they've done a good job of anticipating the real practical issues in
filling in your tax return.

You can break off at any point (usually in my case because I find I'm
lacking a crucial piece of information) and then come back to it later
and everything will still be there.

You can do subsidiary calculations on the digital equivalent of a piece
of scrap paper and then have the value copied over automatically into
your on-line form.  Only the final value is submitted with your form,
just as if you'd used a paper one.

When you think you've finished you can print off a draft, sleep on it,
check it later, and then finally submit it.

It's not often you come across such a well-written piece of software.
Credit where credit's due.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk