[Gllug] Ubuntu 32 bit or 64bit for Windows 7

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Fri Nov 26 19:11:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:04:33 +0000, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 November 2010 19:50,  <lucypeters at mail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I bought a Core i3 2.13GHz 4Gb Ram laptop which has Windows 7 64 bit
> > pre-loaded. I want to dual boot install Ubuntu 10.04 but don't know whether
> > to install the 32 bit or the 64 bit version would be more compatible to the
> > Core i3 ?
> >
> > The reason why I need a new ubuntu box as I was unable to access my last one
> > kept asking me for the HDD 0 password right after the boot up bios screen. I
> > haven't set a password for the hard disk but I was locked out. Do you know
> > how to fix it?
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Lucy
> >

> The new Core I3 will run 32bit or 64bit Ubuntu without any problems.
> I would recommend 64bit Ubuntu.

Hmm, not sure if I'd recommend 64 bit -- depends if you want to use any
third party stuff where the 32 bit stuff runs OK, but they've not got
round to 64 bit.

The reasons for running 64 bit would be if you had more than 4GB RAM, or
if you want to virtualise 64 bit guests for some reason, otherwise it
doesn't make a lot of difference AFAIK, and might make installing things
like flash less annoying (although much of the annoyance seems to have
sorted itself out these days, so perhaps there are fewer reasons left to
favour 32 bit, but it'll depend on what you're running).

Cheers, Phil.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk