[Gllug] Recommendations for servers

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 25 12:59:32 UTC 2010

On 25 November 2010 12:55, Chris Bell <chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk> wrote:
>>   Perhaps reliability depends on the actual environmental conditions more
> than most people realise. I have seen servers working in controlled
> installations with low temperature filtered air, as well as in unventilated
> broom cupboards suitable for use as ovens.

Chris, you make a very good point there.
Servers like being left alone - in a stable environment, leave them
alone, don't let the
temperature swing violently, and don't power em on and off.

My remarks on Tier 1's really are based on the old FUD which the Tier
1 salesmen seem still
to be pushing.
Supermicro will always be first with any new technology (actually
Arima came up with the first
Opteron serve boards, but I'll let that one lie) - as a for instance
the direct Hyperstransport sockets
landed on motherboard.

the Tier 1s will give you all the flannel abotu custom designed enclosures etc.
It is true that when Bechtolstein re-joined Sun and the produced their
first Opteron servers they were highly engineered
bits of kit, with a Sun designed motherboard and a Sun designed ILOM processor.
But look at the next generation of the Sun silver-coloured Opteron
servers - look at the motherboard and it came from
someone such as Asus or similar.
Look at the Sun Opteron workstation I have at home - again Asus or
similar motherboard in a Sun case.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk