[Gllug] Recommendations for servers

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 13:04:42 UTC 2010

My personal best was supporting a client who did video production:

- server in a cleaning cupboard which would regularly get beach
splashed on it. Standard temp ~30 degrees
- servers sat on nylon carpet with editors smoking near them, putting
ashtrays on them and
  splashing trychloroethane ( film-cleaning agent ) on them.
- the building was 20 feet from a train track which was used for
concrete shipments - most weeks
  when trains went by, they'd have disk errors due to heavy vibrations
(man!). Needless to say, they
  just bought new disks rather than doing the sensible things...

Tid

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk