[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 21 14:53:30 UTC 2010

On 17 November 2010 10:46, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 11/14/2010 07:24 PM, JLMS wrote:
>> And no wonder: lots of systems admins are jobless due to the recession
>> and is going to get worse
>
> Not sure I agree with that - the present situation in London seems to be
> completely inverse. There are a fair few sysadmin jobs going with very
> few $cluefull applicants around. I know at-least three companies looking
> for people who know what they are doing - and unable to recruit for
> elongated periods of time. One setup, has had over a dozen interviews
> from almost 60 CV's  ( ~ 2 months effort ).
>
> Ok, these are for permanent jobs and not consulting roles - but if the
> situation was as grim as you make it out to be, I see no reason why
> these super capable people would not be switching from consulting to
> perm roles.
>
> - KB

Argh, sorry, but if you can't get 2 people out of  60 applicants maybe
you have to start to get a hard look back at yourself as a company.

If the situation is so dire regarding talent (it isn't, send me their
details and I'll put them in touch with Senior SAs eager to work, they
are emigrating out of the UK because they can''t find work here)
maybe, just maybe, it is time for companies to lower their standards
just a bit and be prepared to actually invest in the people they are
hiring, or perhaps the money is not being commensurate with their
expectations about the applicants, I myself would not apply for jobs
offering below a certain minimum,  if I can't find anything at that
level I can as well change to do something else (which is what a
couple of my buddies, former Sr. SysAdmins, have done).

You know those companies: "SysAdmin with 20 years experience that
knows 20 most popular technologies. £20K p.a.". That is of course
extreme and intended to jest, but adjust carefully and many people are
simply put off by the unrealistic combination of low salaries and high
requirements.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk