[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Oct 11 13:47:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:19:26PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> I suppose that if you have only one filesystem then there is little
> point in using LVM - since all of the disk (minus swap) is in the
> one partition. Yes: there is a gain if you need to add a disk - but
> how often does that happen on a consumer desktop system ?

To some extent it's true that a consumer desktop system doesn't need
any flexibility, but on the other hand the cost of including it is
really small.  If for some reason you did decide that 512 MB is not
enough for swap and you wanted to trade some disk space, then with
partitions you're a bit fscked (ha ha) but with LVM and a rescue disk
it's very easy to expand one thing and shrink another.

LVM gives you more options, like live pvmove-ing your storage over to
a new hard disk, straddling an LV across disks, and coming soon the
ability to live mirror a logical volume on secondary storage.

(All the above features developed and supported by Red Hat ...)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat