[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 14:43:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> LVM gives you more options, like live pvmove-ing your storage over to
> a new hard disk, straddling an LV across disks, and coming soon the
> ability to live mirror a logical volume on secondary storage.

And this is why it's worth having, even on a single user desktop.
SMART monitoring means that for some failure modes, you get enough
advance warning to pvmove data from a failing disk onto a new one
before it dies. That's invaluable, and has saved my bacon several
times.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk