[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 00:38:23 UTC 2010

--------

Richard Jones writes:

>Tet,
>
>guess you'll enjoy (or more probably not) this thread:
>
>http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-October/thread.html#144471

Sigh. I would claim that it's yet another step Fedora is taking away
from where I want my OS to be. But sadly, I suspect it applies to Linux
in general, not just Fedora :-( Even if I switched distributions, I
suspect most of the alternatives would follow in time anyway. What
really pisses me off about Fedora is the lack of communication with
the end user. There could be some quite sound technical reasons for
many of the changes. But some of those changes are made without
sufficient debate on their merits, and certainly without informing
the users about them. Sometimes there's a mention in the release
notes. Sometimes not :-(

FWIW, I'm not wedded to the idea of a separate /usr. It's something
that historically was created for reasons that often don't exist
any more. But given that we do have it, there are some benefits
to keeping it, and any proposed change should make sure that those
benefits are kept. But in this case, that discussion simply didn't
happen.

I find my system is changing from underneath my feet at a rate where
I'm struggling to keep up. I used to understand nearly every aspect
of my OS and what was going on from poweron to full userland up and
running. Now I just don't have a clue about a lot of it any more.
Annoyingly, many of those changes seem to be aimed at making life
simple for those with common usage patterns, at the expense of
making things impossible for those of us that do things differently.
Linux is turning from a general purpose OS into an OS that's very
good for certain specific tasks. Fedora is leading the way here,
but the other distributions are following suit.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk