[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Wed Oct 20 00:51:29 UTC 2010

On 20/10/10 01:38, Tethys wrote:
> Annoyingly, many of those changes seem to be aimed at making life
> simple for those with common usage patterns, at the expense of
> making things impossible for those of us that do things differently.
> Linux is turning from a general purpose OS into an OS that's very
> good for certain specific tasks. Fedora is leading the way here,
> but the other distributions are following suit.
>
> Tet

My take is to leave Fedora, Ubuntu et al, to those who aren't accustomed
to the *nix traditions, and I simply accept that they have priorities
different from ours (I don't have the URL to hand, but one long
Launchpad thread discussed whether it would be better to fsck at the
start of boot, to make sure that all is well before starting, or rather
fsck afterwards, because that might be a little bit less inconvenient.
Of couse, an "ESC to skip" was mentioned, and apparently implemented).

I was very loyal to RedHat for many years, discovered LFS, and via
pretty much every other OS, Ubuntu helped me realise that Debian was my
True Home. Debian would never do stupid things for the sake of ESR's
Auntie. Debian just Does Things Right, because that's the right thing to
do. Most of my professional career has been with Solaris, which is
bulletproof because it takes the same approach.

Doing things to please people who have migrated from different
environments helps nobody; we can take advantage of our 30+ year
heritage, or throw it away because Joe who has used PCs for 4 years says
that he'd rather have his games quicker.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk