[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Oct 20 14:00:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 01:38:23AM +0100, Tethys wrote:
> Sigh. I would claim that it's yet another step Fedora is taking away
> from where I want my OS to be. But sadly, I suspect it applies to Linux
> in general, not just Fedora :-( Even if I switched distributions, I
> suspect most of the alternatives would follow in time anyway. What
> really pisses me off about Fedora is the lack of communication with
> the end user. There could be some quite sound technical reasons for
> many of the changes. But some of those changes are made without
> sufficient debate on their merits, and certainly without informing
> the users about them. Sometimes there's a mention in the release
> notes. Sometimes not :-(

To be fair, the claim is that it doesn't really work at the moment
(too many dependencies on /usr from early init programs), and that you
can easily get the benefits of read-only-/usr using the bind-mount
commands mentioned in that thread.  I don't have any opinion on
whether either of those is true.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones