[Gllug] Apache update failing in Ubuntu 10.04

'lesleyb' lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Mon Oct 11 10:40:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 02:10:05AM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> On 11/10/10 01:26, Steve Parker wrote:
> > On 11/10/10 01:18, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> >
> >> ERROR: Module reqtimeout does not exist!
> >>
> > That would seem to be the problem;
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2/+bug/562370 suggests :
> >     "sudo a2dismod reqtimeout"
> >

> Thanks Steve,
>
> Turns out that didn't work as the retimeout.so wasn't installed in the
> firstplace, it did lead me to another launchpad bug (in dpkg allegedly)
> which would explain it.
>
> The solution on offer seems a bit heavy handed though...
>
> sudo dpkg --purge --force-remove-reinstreq apache2.2-common
>
> followed by a reinstall of apache.
>

> Am I right in thinking that the above command would delete all my hard
> crafted apache config files? NAturally I can just back these up but if
> the problem is caused by something in the config files wouldn't it just
> reappear when I restored them? Not sure how to proceed, think I'll call
> it a night and sleep on it!

The --purge command will remove configuration files.  Move/copy yours to
a safe place(TM) if you want to keep them.

Don't know about Ubuntu but Debian has

/usr/sbin/apacahe2ctl configtest

which would detect syntax errors in your config files.

>From the man page

configtest    Run a configuration file syntax test. It parses the configuration
              files and either reports Syntax Ok or information about the
              particular syntax error. This test does not catch all errors.

I have no idea if an apache config could upset an upgrade but I think it an
infrequent occurrence.

Regards

L.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk