[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Oct 20 22:17:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:21:53PM +0100, John Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 03:00:01PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> <snip>
> > To be fair, the claim is that it doesn't really work at the moment
> > (too many dependencies on /usr from early init programs), and that you
> > can easily get the benefits of read-only-/usr using the bind-mount
> > commands mentioned in that thread.  I don't have any opinion on
> > whether either of those is true.
>
> Surely if a program needs to run before filesystems are mounted then
> it counts as an essential OS binary and should be in /bin or /sbin ?
>
> From the FHS:
>
> "/bin contains commands that may be used by both the system
> administrator and by users, but which are required when no other
> filesystems are mounted (e.g. in single user mode). It may also
> contain commands which are used indirectly by scripts.
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#BINESSENTIALUSERCOMMANDBINARIES

The issue (raised on fedora-devel-list) is whether to break with
strict FHS compliance.

I have mixed feelings about the FHS, POSIX and such-like: I feel it's
rather like delegating decisions to the EU.  As an organization it's
more closed and far slower moving than decision-making at the local
(Fedora, Debian etc) level.  It also seems to me that people policy-
launder unpopular stuff through POSIX to avoid having to make
decisions openly (same for the EU for that matter).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat