[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Oct 26 19:15:21 UTC 2010

On Tue 26 Oct, t.clarke wrote:

> Hmm  - I always thought the ELCD/RCD tripped if the difference between current
> on the 'live' wire and the current on the 'neutral' wire was more than a small
> value???
>
> Tim

   Correct, the neutral current goes in the reverse direction if it is
single phase, but what about a 3-phase plus neutral installation? OK, you
probably will be dead if you touch two phases, but lots of leakage of any
kind can result in a fire.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk