[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Gerd Busker busker at busker.org
Mon Oct 25 17:21:45 UTC 2010

- Tethys wrote:

> I was at a gig last year. The Finnish band in question hadn't
> brought any coverter plugs with them, so they just jammed their
> 2-pin Europlugs into the supplied BS 1363 3-pin sockets.
>
> 	http://pics.astradyne.co.uk/ref/091108--plugs.jpg

This is why foreigners always carry a screwdriver.  You have to push the
earth hole to move the live/neutral covers out of the way.

The real problem is of course that most continental circuits are fused
at 16A so the plugs need have no protection device.  If you do that
trick in the UK and have a short you are likely to fry the appliance
cable instead of blow the fuse if there is a short.

Gerd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk