[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Oct 20 21:07:26 UTC 2010

On 20 Oct 2010, John Edwards said:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 03:00:01PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> <snip>
>> To be fair, the claim is that it doesn't really work at the moment
>> (too many dependencies on /usr from early init programs), and that you
>> can easily get the benefits of read-only-/usr using the bind-mount
>> commands mentioned in that thread.  I don't have any opinion on
>> whether either of those is true.
>
> Surely if a program needs to run before filesystems are mounted then
> it counts as an essential OS binary and should be in /bin or /sbin ?

Quite so. It's not as if libatasmart is so monstrously huge that it
can't live in /lib:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 114890 2009-11-06 13:18 /lib/libatasmart.so.4.0.3

Why the choice was taken to rip separate /usr out rather than simply
migrating libatasmart into /lib, I have no clue, but it seems bloody
stupid to me.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk