[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 21:38:35 UTC 2010

--------

Nix writes:

>Quite so. It's not as if libatasmart is so monstrously huge that it
>can't live in /lib:
>
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 114890 2009-11-06 13:18 /lib/libatasmart.so.4.0.3
>
>Why the choice was taken to rip separate /usr out rather than simply
>migrating libatasmart into /lib, I have no clue, but it seems bloody
>stupid to me.

In this case, yes. But the argument is that there are other things
that require migrating out of /usr. One example given was a system
with encrypted storage. Either you're restricted to an ASCII superset
for the password, or you need to have i18n keyboard config in the
root fs in order to enter the decryption password.

	leto:~% du -sh /usr/share/X11/xkb
	3.0M    /usr/share/X11/xkb

Hmmm. That's starting to get less than trivial to migrate to the
root filesystem. I kind of see their point. I just think they should
have had a proper discussion with the affected parties to look at
possible solutions, rather than just decide you can't have /usr on
a separate filesystem any more. Maybe the outcome would be the same.
But without the discussion, we won't know.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk