[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Gerd Busker busker at busker.org
Mon Oct 25 06:45:20 UTC 2010

Bernard Peek wrote:
> On 24/10/10 18:58, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>
>> For time immemorial I have been told brown is live, blue is neutral and
>> yellow/green is earth. Mains electricity is AC so it oscillates between
>> the positive and negative 50 times a second right? In that case why does
>> it matter which way you wire the blue and brown cables to the nominally
>> blue and brown terminals in a plug?
>>

> Neutral is connected to ground at the substation, so only the live
> connection is dangerous - if everything is wired properly.

In many countries brown/blue are completely interchangeable.  I think
the UK is one of the few countries where a plug is phase/neutral
specific, even though many countries indeed tie blue to ground somewhere
along the line, certainly if it is actually 1 tap of a 3-phase system
(which almost all power is).

If you look at a 220V shaver socket, there both pins are "floating"
(with the help of a transformer).  If you grab one (don't do this at
home) in theory you bring it to neutral and the other end is live so
you're safe!

My house in holland had both blue and brown live at ~110V in opposing
phase - I was never sure if this was by design or not.
Bascically you treat blue as live, since it often can be.

Gerd.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk