[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Oct 25 06:50:57 UTC 2010

On Sun 24 Oct, Richard Jones wrote:

> Funny ...
>
> Reminds me that a relative of mine many years ago managed to fuse a
> whole hospital ward by plugging in her radio.  It turned out the
> hospital (in Liverpool) was using DC, the radio obviously was standard
> AC, and I imagine the current enjoyed the short circuit through one
> side of the radio's transformer.
>
> Well, that's the story as it was told to me.  I believe the story, but
> I slightly can't believe that this hospital would use the same shaped
> plugs and sockets, or that my relative forced a plug into a different-
> shaped socket.  Anyone know more?
>
> Rich.

   The problem with the old colours was that much of the rest of Europe has
always used white as safe (neutral/return) and black as death (live). We are
now subject to EU regulations, even if "electricians" from other EU
countries do not have half a clue. Three phase cable colours are now brown,
black, and grey, with neutral blue if used. Earth is green/yellow.

   My grandfather ran an engineering company in the last premises in the
area to be converted from DC, and my dad told me that I was 13 when I
rewired the building complete with 100 3-phase motors and all their
star/delta control gear. My biggest problem was starting to cut the threads
on the steel conduit because I was not heavy enough.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk