[Gllug] Raw LVM vs. LVM on partitions for KVM

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Wed Oct 13 19:10:21 UTC 2010

Since the question of partitions and LVM has recently been
comprehensively touched upon, I'd like to ask for comments on whether I
am doing something stupid, and what the downsides may be.

I am evaluating (for production) a KVM instance running (inter alia) a
small XP farm with less than 20 instances.

This is for the usual sort of reason: currently critical software at the
client with dependency on XP and that won't run on Vista or 7 (sigh).
This is supposed to be rewritten - in the next 3 years.

After much messing around with trying to get aligned partitions (qv lots
of stuff elsewhere) I have now built a whole lot of VMs directly on LVM
directly on (hardware) RAID (5 as it happens), NOT building a partition
first.

I did this to get around alignment issues, but it seems to be very
satisfactory.

The downside so far to doing this with Windows is that I can't use Linux
tools to check the VM's consistency etc; with Linux this is not an
issue. I can only run consistency checks within the VM using Windows tools.

It's not a huge problem since the images are largely static and so I can
use (backed-up) revertible snapshots to recover from catastrophic
failure or corruption.

However, I'd like to ask if anyone else is doing anything like this and
whether there are any other downsides that have not occurred to me (and
no doubt should have!). If you think I don't quite know what I am doing
I'd probably agree :)

tia

MeJ

--