[Gllug] Broadband options

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Oct 10 14:06:00 UTC 2010

On Sun 10 Oct, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> BT are not (at present) providing fibre to the premises.  Where they do,
> they charge outrageous prices (I have engineers installing fibre all the
> time and know what it costs).  They are only providing fibre to their
> cabinets.  The local end (to you) will remain crappy twisted pair, and
> the data rates you receive will not change significantly.  There may be
> a slight improvement as the ADSL signals arriving at the cabinets will
> be in slightly better condition, but the last few hundred metres are
> what really kills the signal.

   Thanks, I am beginning to get some sensible information. I understand
that BT Infinity, up to 40Mbps, is actually FTTC, although I am not sure
what will happen to their up to 20Mbps service when the area moves to FTTC.

> Chris - if your mains power provision is so bad, you really need to give
> EDF a hard time.  Get support from your GP - the "stress" is a health
> risk factor that will concern the Doctor, and a little prompting from
> you will persuade him to write to EDF in your support.  You also need to
> point out the other risks to you that are associated with loss of power,
> and explain carefully that any damage to your equipment sustained due to
> their negligence will result in their being sued.  You also need to
> involve your neighbours - they will be suffering the same problems.
>
> I'm in litigation against EDF at the moment because they destroyed my
> desktop computer, my central heating controller and my video recorder
> power supply because of a huge spike.  I'm typing this using the new
> machine that arrived from Novatech yesterday!  My neighbours on the same
> phase have also had some equipment damage.  EDF really don't seem to
> care much, so need their minds focussed!

   It is Southern Electric around here, I am on the same feed as the traffic
lights at Gipsy Corner on the A40, but there have been failures in several
other parts of the area. I often see voltage steps with the lights changing
intensity, and have no idea whether water is seeping into more joints or
whether it is due to load changes in other areas (this area should be mainly
domestic). Not helped by the amount of digging around here, the A40 was down
to one lane each way again a few days ago as yet more fibre ducts were laid
across.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk