[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Oct 26 17:28:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 11:46 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> Hmm  - I always thought the ELCD/RCD tripped if the difference between current
> on the 'live' wire and the current on the 'neutral' wire was more than a small
> value???

That's exactly right.  They used to be called "differential breakers"
and work on the assumption that if there's a difference between "sent"
current and "returned" current, the electricity must be taking another
path - probably to Earth.  These devices are designed to detect a
minimum current offset of 30 mA, which is what the text books suggest is
the "safe limit" through a human victim.

A word of advice to all - RCD/ELCDs are very good devices, and if
they're checked regularly, will provide a measure of protection.

However, 230 Volts at 30 mA really hurts at best, and WILL KILL at
worst. Please DO NOT trust your life to these devices!

The really good electricians I know, and many of the ones I employ have
NEVER received a shock, and take great pains to make sure that they
never do!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk