[Gllug] Ubuntu Maverick upgrade

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 18:46:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 07:18:37PM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 17:16 +0100, indigojo at blogistan.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Has anyone using Ubuntu Maverick and who did the routine upgrade in
>> the last couple of days found that it's caused serious problems,
>> including deleting or failing to detect GNOME settings, including
>> their widget stylings and power daemon configurations? My laptop now
>> hangs while "checking battery state", GDM doesn't display right (the
>> user selector doesn't always appear at all), and I get an alert
>> telling me the power configurations aren't installed correctly and to
>> contact my administrator.
>>
>> I also have a 64-bit Dell desktop machine which I haven't run the
>> update on yet. I have filed a bug report on Launchpad but would like
>> to know if anyone else is having similar problems.
>>
>> Matt Smith
>
> Ubuntu still haven't quite got the update routine right.  Updating is
> (at best) risky.  I did a complete reinstall, having backed /home up to
> another drive first.  This is slightly more hassle, but is guaranteed to
> work!

Odd. I've updated about 50 servers from Ubuntu 6.06 to 8.04, and
some to 10.04 and the main problem I have had with upgrading is
the slapd bdb backend on differing Berkley libdb versions.

But these were using good hardware (IBM, HP, Supermicro) that have
been bought for Linux and well tested with it.

I suspect that few laptop or desktop systems are throughly tested
for use with Linux, and many have odd APM or ACPI bugs. Some cheaper
laptop graphics chipsets also display weirdness.

The Gnome settings problems I can believe, as they regularly change
between versions. Moving the ~/.gnome* and ~/.gconf* directories
will reset most back to their defaults. That's not really an Ubuntu
specific problem, as I've had trouble on old RedHat and Debian
machines as well.

Viva fvwm, where everything is held in a single config file.