[Gllug] Flash on RedHat Linux

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 18:29:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 07:17:19PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> The problem as always is that desktop software needs[*] to be updated
> more frequently than is justified in an enterprise distribution.  So
> after a few months it won't be shiny and new.  [*] By "needs" I mean
> it's nice to do that, rather than any sort of requirement.

This is where something like EPEL ought to be used, allow you to choose to
have the latest version of things like: openoffice, samba (the one on RHEL5
isn't good enough to handle all of MS Win 7), PHP, ...
On the servers that I have installed/support I like it that things don't change,
but sometimes need a newer version of something where the 'standards' that
it has to conform to change quickly.

I shall need to get some more bread: I use RHEL (OK: Centos) as my desktop.
Why ? - it is what I install as customer servers.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk