[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Oct 26 22:16:29 UTC 2010

On Tue 26 Oct, t.clarke wrote:

> I suppose through which bit of you 30mA at 230V goes makes a big difference!
> Reminds me, incidentally, of the old saw:
> "Its volts that jolts, bit mills that kills"
>
> Tim

   Its volts that drive the current, but the damage depends on the current.
I have heard that if the contact resistance is low enough, perhaps because
it is wet, the damage caused from 110 volts can be much worse because your
muscles do not push you away quickly enough. I was told that if I needed to
check whether something is live by touching it always use the back of the
hand because it is more sensitive and the natural reaction is to pull away,
never the palm side because you may grab and lock on. DC volts are even more
likely to cause lock-on.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk