[Gllug] Port filtering question

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 1 11:08:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, September 29, 2010 05:32, Walter Stanish wrote:
>> I have been struggling with this for a few days now. I am trying to set
>> up
>> an icecast server on my desktop machine. Everything seems to be working
>> fine, except that nobody can connect to the port.

>> I am not running any kind of firewall or packet filtering firewall
>> software on the PC as far as I can tell, as I generally use the router
>> as
>> the firewall. So is this a bug in the router, an ISP issue or is there
>> something on the desktop machine doing this ?
>
> One way to find out which part of your network infrastructure filters a
> port
> is to run a traceroute with that port selected.  Whilst traceroute is a
> cool
> hack, and old versions tended not to use TCP, modern implementations
> such as that in recent versions of nmap will allow you to specify UDP or
> TCP ports, along with a host of other options.
>
> For a simple example, you could use:
>  nmap --traceroute -PT -p80 your.target.host.com
>
> I seem to remember that icecast doesn't normally run on port 80 by
> default, a quick google suggests '8000'.
>
> - Walter
> --

OK, this is starting to dirve me nuts now !

Yesterday, I was setting up apache - which was working, so I thought, on
port 80.

I put some jpeg images in the document root, but every time I tried to
download one via the external IP address, wget was hanging after
retrieving exactly 4048 bytes. Same for every image.

Then, since I had a spare router (Netgear dg834g), I thought I would try
with that instead. Unfortunately the results were no better. Now I am
seeing some very curious things:

1) netstat -an shows the following ports listening:

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:81              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:44125         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:49220         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

81 is apache (I will explain why not 80 below), 22 is ssh and 631 is cupsd.

However I have no idea what is running on the other ports.

2) my external IP address is currently 186.212.103.8.
nmap shows:
PORT      STATE SERVICE
80/tcp    open  http
1863/tcp  open  msnp
1864/tcp  open  paradym-31
4443/tcp  open  pharos
5190/tcp  open  aol
5566/tcp  open  unknown
49152/tcp open  unknown

now as far as I know I am not running anything on any of the ports shown.

3) Going to http://www.canyouseeme.org/, tells me that port 22 is open,
yet when I try to ssh to 186.212.103.8 I get "connection refused". For 80,
it tells me !connection refused". For all the other ports (81, etc) it
says connection timed out.

4) If I try to open the external IP address in a browser, it takes me to
the router password prompt ! This happens regardless of whether I have
port 80 set to forward or not.
So it seems like the firewall part may be working, but something is
strange with NAT.

Any suggestions greatfully received....

Salsaman.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk