[Gllug] HugePages

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Sat Oct 30 00:18:01 UTC 2010

On 29/10/10 16:18, John Hearns wrote:
> But "The new architecture for multiple processors, starting with AMD’s
> Opteron and Intel’s Nehalem2 processors
>   (we’ll call these “modern PC CPUs”), is a Non-Uniform Memory Access
> (NUMA) architecture,"
>
> That's a bit of a surprise to people who have been building and
> managing NUMA machines for donkey's years....

Lots of architectures and OSes have dealt with NUMA for a long time;
Solaris deals with this really well (on SPARC, if not x86_64); this is
my first experience of NUMA under Linux (any arch); RHEL5's 2.6.18
kernel seems rather outdated, it seems the Linux kernel has moved on in
the last few years; I'm looking forward to testing this OS and app with
a newer kernel next week, should be informative...

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk