[Gllug] Apache update failing in Ubuntu 10.04

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Mon Oct 11 12:36:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:59:20 +0100, "general_email at technicalbloke.com" <general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:

> Pah! Just installed Spotify for linux (hooray for the Spotify peeps
> making a linux version even tho it runs OK in wine!) and I got the same
> apache error. On closer examination there's a bit more detail available
> however the Synaptic developers in their quite finite wisdom have made
> it impossible to copy and paste this text out of the box and have made
> the box a fixed size so here's a link to a screenshot of the lower half
> of the error messages...
>
> http://www.technicalbloke.com/Screenshot-2.png
>
> As you can see it complains about the package "apache2-mpm-worker" not
> being installed (amongst others) yet when I try to install it it tells
> me it requires the removal of several things including
> apache2-mpm-prefork (which it what I thought I was trying to update!)
> and php5 and all my php5 modules! Clearly that's not cool.

apache2-mpm-worker and apache2-mpm-prefork are two packages that provide
the same functionality by different means, so you only get to install
the one you prefer.

As you've noticed, php5 depends on apache2-mpm-prefork, so if you're
using php5 you'll be wanting to keep that one.

So, it's only suggesting apache2-mpm-worker because it's befuddled by
the inability to configure apache2-mpm-prefork.

That being the case, the way to fix this is to fix whatever's
interfering with that package's configuration, which would appear to be
a missconfiguration of apache (which would also have tripped up
apache2-mpm-worker if you'd managed to try that instead).

If you get the impression that the current state of play is that apt
thinks it wants to install apache2-mpm-worker, you should tell it
explicitly to install apache2-mpm-prefork.

That'll fail, but will at least should tell you again what it's unhappy
about.

Then, once it's in a state where the configuration is the only bit
that's wrong, you can try (as root):

  dpkg -a --configure

although, in this particular example, the quickest way to find the
problem is going to be (as mentioned elsewhere) to run:

  apache2ctl configtest

until it's happy, at which point the:  dpkg -a --configure
should work, and you'll be back in business.  (synaptic will do this for
you AFAIK, but I find that it's nice to see the dpkg work, without other
noise)

Cheers, Phil.