[Gllug] Apache update failing in Ubuntu 10.04

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun Oct 10 22:59:20 UTC 2010

On 10/10/10 20:37, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> On 10/10/10 18:40, John Edwards wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 06:28:34PM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Getting these messages when I try to install updates in Ubuntu...
>>>
>>> E: apache2.2-common: subprocess installed post-installation script
>>> returned error exit status 1
>>> E: apache2-mpm-prefork: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>>> E: apache2: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

<snip>
>> The post installation script for the apache2.2-common package is:
>> 	/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache2.2-common.postinst
>>
>> On my Ubuntu 10.04 there that last command that might exit with
>> status code 1 is:
>> --------
>> # Automatically added by dh_installinit
>> if [ -x "/etc/init.d/apache2" ]; then
>>           update-rc.d apache2 defaults 91 09>/dev/null || exit $?
>> fi
>> --------
>>
>> You could check that the exit code for this command by running:
>> 	sudo update-rc.d apache2 defaults 91 09 ; echo $?
>>

> Hmm, that's interesting, the exit code is 0 which means OK doesn't it?
>
>   >>>  System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/apache2 already exist.
>   >>>  0
>
> I just tried running the whole script and it returns 0...
>
>   >>>  r0g at steppa:/var/lib/dpkg/info$ cd /var/lib/dpkg/info/
>   >>>  r0g at steppa:/var/lib/dpkg/info$ sudo ./apache2.2-common.postinst;
> echo $?
>   >>>  0
>
> I didn't know how to display the error code before so thanks for that :)
>
> I just ran update manager again and it came back with "Your system is up
> to date" but I think that's because all the other updates installed OK,
> reassuringly. I don't know if it will happen again next time I have
> updates to install, it has done the last few times I did but I guess
> I'll have to wait and see now.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Roger.

Pah! Just installed Spotify for linux (hooray for the Spotify peeps
making a linux version even tho it runs OK in wine!) and I got the same
apache error. On closer examination there's a bit more detail available
however the Synaptic developers in their quite finite wisdom have made
it impossible to copy and paste this text out of the box and have made
the box a fixed size so here's a link to a screenshot of the lower half
of the error messages...

http://www.technicalbloke.com/Screenshot-2.png

As you can see it complains about the package "apache2-mpm-worker" not
being installed (amongst others) yet when I try to install it it tells
me it requires the removal of several things including
apache2-mpm-prefork (which it what I thought I was trying to update!)
and php5 and all my php5 modules! Clearly that's not cool.

It also complains that apache2-mpm-prefork is not configured although
apache is working just fine and serving pages to my local network.

So I'm a bit lost, does this make sense to anyone else? Would the other
half of the messages be useful? If so let me know and I will post a
screengrab of them.

Thanks,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk