[Gllug] Flash on RedHat Linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Oct 27 18:17:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 06:12:21PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, October 27, 2010 18:02, - Tethys wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Martin A. Brooks
> > <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm curious... why are you doing desktop-like things on a machine
> >> running
> >> an enterprise OS?
> >
> > It's what people do in a big business environment. What else would
> > they be running?
>
> For desktops in a big business environment?  I'd expect them to be running
> Windows.

If they want Windows, I'd be hoping they'd be using VDI :-)
<ad> http://www.redhat.com/virtualization/rhev/desktop/rhevm/ </ad>

> > You're unlikely to find them running Debian or Fedora
> > or Ubuntu, for example. For some users, support is critical, and for
> > those people, the only sane options are RHEL or SLED. Plus, of course,
> > enterprise != server.
>
> Anyone considering RHEL for the desktop is clearly several sandwiches
> short of a picnic.

I've been running RHEL 6 as a desktop on one machine, and it's pretty
good.  It is essentially Fedora 13, which is barely different from
upstream GNOME.

The problem as always is that desktop software needs[*] to be updated
more frequently than is justified in an enterprise distribution.  So
after a few months it won't be shiny and new.  [*] By "needs" I mean
it's nice to do that, rather than any sort of requirement.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat