[Gllug] Suitable Laptop for Ubuntu

Richard LEGER richard.leger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 16:16:15 UTC 2010

Message: 5

> Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:59:26 +0100
> From: Shannon Carver <shannon.carver at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] Suitable Laptop for Ubuntu
> To: Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
>
> Macbook Pro 5.4 here, Ubuntu been running perfectly for well over a year.
>  Little bit more involved install, as its not 'quite' as easy as booting
> off
> the Ubuntu CD.  After that, all good though!

I have a Mac Book Pro 5,5 bought in Nov 2009 with Ubuntu 9.10 running in
dual boot with OSX.
It is working well (few glitch here and there but the essential works
well...considering I am a total newbie to Linux...). What I do really like
is the quality of screen... really not tiring for eyes... the softness of
keyboard... and the wide trackpad (except that sometime when typing the
hands slide on trackpad and may create side effect...it is so wide this area
:)
I manage to use virtual machine under Ubuntu (or Mac OS X) via virtual box
and it works well as well.

Would you like to see how to proceed to have it installed in detail you can
have a look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

For such machine the Wireless driver I would recommand NOT to use the driver
provided by Ubuntu as it works much better to compile driver from more
recent source as I did explained here:
http://ferry.eof.eu.org/lesjournaux/rlr/public_html/monopage/index.html#AEN635
(In French only but it shall be comprehensible for English speaker as
well...I believe)

For the kernel I would recommand *2.6.31-19 as it is the only kernel I
manage to have the sound system works with.*

You can also have a look at http://www.lenovo.com/uk/en/,
http://www.system76.com/, http://www.emperorlinux.com/, etc... in addition
of Dell or Asus...

It's one of those things, for the most part I can't stand Apple, OSX is
> terrible (OSX Server is horrid as a Server platform too), but the Macbook's
> trackpad seals the deal for me, apart from the price, I've got no
> complaints.

Well I do keep OSX for :
- discovering it (it is my first Mac) but I don't fancy it really not
practical to me... I might not think yet like an Apple customer :)
- because it is advised to keep it for potential firmware update eventhough
it might be possible to keep it on an external harddrive
- it is a shared computer and the other user prefer MacOSX to Linux... well
he might have the mind set for it...

It actually force me to re-think how to re-organise data to have it
accessible in both OS (in addition of Windows) as well as use as much as
possible cross plateforms softwares that runs similar way in Windows, Linux
and Mac OS X which is quite challenging :)

Happy hacking :)
Richard