[Gllug] mobile broadband recommendations

Ciarán Mooney general.mooney at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 13 08:30:34 UTC 2010

Hi,

Most dongles that are out there seem to work fine with Ubuntu and
NetworkManager. I got the pay-as-you-go dongle from T-mobile. It
worked great, although you have to fiddle a little bit. Even though
it's USB it presents as a CD-ROM, so you have to eject the imaginary
CD-ROM before NetworkManager kicks in and does it's stuff.

If I remember correctly it was £2 a day, for unlimited access. £5 a
week, and £18 a month. "Unlimited" as usual is limited to a couple of
gigs, but me and my girlfriend managed to use it for a few weeks as
our only internet connection and they didn't come down on us too hard.

Ciarán
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk