[Gllug] Garmin satnav and Linux.

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Sat Sep 18 19:09:23 UTC 2010

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:18:16 +0000 (GMT)
Chris Bell <chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>    My sister has purchased a Garmin nuvi 1300 satnav but it does not
> know where she is (the information keeps changing even when
> stationary)

As long as this being done outside, with a good view of the sky, and
continues after ten minutes or so - I'd suspect faulty hardware. I have
messed with many satnavs over twenty+ years and this usually indicates a
bad receiver.

> it is still under warranty, but she has been told to
> upgrade the software and included map. She does not have a computer.

The warranty is not relevant yet. It can be immediately rejected and
SOG Act.

> The www.garmin.com website lists an upgrader that only works with
> selected M$ offerings or MAC, and only one free map upgrade.

That unfortunately is usual (even though they may run Linux).

> I have
> never found a need for a satnav. Can anyone please give advice? Are
> further map updates needed frequently, and are they expensive?

Yes, and yes. It's their business model. But every couple of years
does for most people.

I think satnavs are wonderful - first experienced at sea, and later on
land. That is, as long as they are used as navigational aids, and not
brain replacements.

Irritatingly, I just recently bought the cheapest SatNav I could find as
my Tomtom 730 failed just as I was due to drive to Spain (from Halfords,
who are frequently but no invarably useless, as I had no time to
order cheaper online). It's a Mio, £70, and better than the Tomtom!

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk