[Gllug] OT: On Being OffTopic (Was: Xmodmap Help)

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Fri Sep 24 00:11:50 UTC 2010

On 23/09/10 22:59, Nix wrote:
> s/causing everyone to be confused/giving everyone an excuse for a nice
> pedantic flame/
>
> I thought the gllug list was supposed to be at least slightly not
> horrible to new arrivals? (OK, so this guy is plainly not any sort of
> Unix newbie: he probably knows more about X i18n than most of us!)

An infomative technical discourse about Xmodmap would be unlikely to
arise out of this discussion, as those with such knowledge have already
explained. What has been asked can't be done, end of story. Those of us
who want to engage in linguistic/religious/spiritual/typographical
debates follow suitable threads where such things are discussed.

This list is starting to look like the cross-posting discussions on
Usenet in the early 1990s.

As Nix says, can we stick to the technical stuff, and not worry too much
about why somebody prefers to make a post about "कey maps" whilst
refusing to use the character "क".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk