[Gllug] Google using LDAP?

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 02:49:33 UTC 2010

Walter Stanish wrote:

> This is because LDAP is a protocol typically used only for
> internal infrastructure, and therefore not something any
> competent network administrator would rush to expose to
> the general public.

Um, shared email address books for the likes of Mozilla Thunderbird are
likely implemented in LDAP. I don't recall a whole lot of 'security'
which would prevent them from being 'public' access.
(to be fair, read only)

There were a number of organisations who built X.500 directories and
made them available/public. Of course that was before spamming became
such a popular sport, so they've likely been taken off-air by now.

If I were building GMail I think I'd look at LDAP for such - see also
Zimbra~Yahoo~VMWare which IIRC uses LDAP for more than just basic
Address Book-ing. Of course no guarantee that some young buck at the
Goo-factory would dream?think that such a thing 'already' exists. Also,
would likely organise access through HTTPS, as you describe, because it
is after all, WEBmail!

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk