[Gllug] Google using LDAP?

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Mon Sep 27 01:28:48 UTC 2010

> > Can I find out using tcpdump?
>
> Possibly, but most likely the traffic will be encrypted between Google
> and the client with SSL. If that is indeed the case, chances of you
> seeing anything useful will be small. Still, we don't know this for a
> fact, so why don't you check?

Personally I doubt it...

It is quite unlikely for security reasons that a mobile application
distributed to the general public would include LDAP support for
the purpose of connecting to a vendor's LDAP server.

More likely only HTTP(S) is used, and google's frontend servers
process requests by performing handset/browser capability
lookups (screen size, etc.) against an internal  database server,
possibly running LDAP.

This is because LDAP is a protocol typically used only for
internal infrastructure, and therefore not something any
competent network administrator would rush to expose to
the general public.

- Walter