[Gllug] [OT]Pigeon faster than broadband

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Sat Sep 18 23:45:41 UTC 2010

I have to admit the pigeon test annoyed me, uploading to youtube is not the
same a sending something 70 miles. They didn't send the pigeon via america
first. It really was not like for like. They could have conducted a test
with a direct connection if they had a modist about of clue. However the
pigeon would always have won. You can get 32GB keys now cheaply, so it would
just be about ramping up the data so the pigeon wins. Have they never heard
of "never overlook the bandwidth of a station wagon filled full of
tapes". I personally have done a datacentre migration by using a "portable
san", 1 rack on wheels, multiple trips.

It complete over looks what the internet is, it allows your computer to
connect to a random computer in an interactive way, not deliver a large
stream of data. A pigeon cannot be told to go to random places. Ok what
"large" keeps increasing however frankly the question is not just if rural
is fast enough but also if web sites assume people have fast links. I think
web sites are more to blaim more, most web sites with GRPS (no G3 in the
part of wales I visited) are almost unusable. Even googles web page these
days has lots of bloat, even though it "looks" simple.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk