[Gllug] Garmin satnav and Linux.

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Sep 18 15:34:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 03:18:16PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    My sister has purchased a Garmin nuvi 1300 satnav but it does not know
> where she is (the information keeps changing even when stationary), it is
> still under warranty, but she has been told to upgrade the software and
> included map. She does not have a computer. The www.garmin.com website lists
> an upgrader that only works with selected M$ offerings or MAC, and only one
> free map upgrade. I have never found a need for a satnav. Can anyone please
> give advice? Are further map updates needed frequently, and are they
> expensive? Thanks.

You could try to see if the updater software runs under Wine.  Wine
is pretty good these days.

As for your sister, I strongly suggest she just takes it back to the
shop quoting consumer law and asking for a full and immediate refund.
They must take back the faulty unit unconditionally -- there is no
rule that someone must have a computer at home and go through all this
faffing around trying to upgrade software first.

I have an old (c. 2005) TomTom which works very well to this day.  I
had a play with a TomTom Starter(? - I think) the other day, and it's
much worse than my model.  Sat navs are a really interesting and
indispensable technology, particularly if you are married to someone
who can't read a map.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones