[Gllug] Garmin satnav and Linux.

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 20:02:16 UTC 2010

On 18 September 2010 16:18, Chris Bell <chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>   My sister has purchased a Garmin nuvi 1300 satnav but it does not know
> where she is (the information keeps changing even when stationary), it is
> still under warranty, but she has been told to upgrade the software and
> included map. She does not have a computer. The www.garmin.com website lists
> an upgrader that only works with selected M$ offerings or MAC, and only one
> free map upgrade. I have never found a need for a satnav. Can anyone please
> give advice? Are further map updates needed frequently, and are they
> expensive? Thanks.

The product should work out of the box. It should not need the
internet and an upgrade in order to at least work a bit.
Maybe an obvious question, but did she try it while she was outside?
When first used, one has to be outside so that it can see the
satellites, and it takes about 3 to 5 minutes to lock onto the
satellites and get it first fix.
If you connect it to the internet, it can download some ephemeris
data, that lets if get a much quicker fix.

Did your sister wait long enough?

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk