[Gllug] Assistance with arguments to use Linux!

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 02:08:05 UTC 2010

Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> I am currently building some new web-infrastructure and would like to
> use Linux boxes as reverse proxies to protect the windows-based
> application servers.  I'm looking at using RH with Squid or Apache and
> potentially off-loading the https encryption to these boxes too.
> So far I have tried arguing greater security and lower costs but,
> unfortunately, management cringe every they hear Linux and go running
> for the safety of Microsoft.

Ben,

You say "management" rather than IT.

Accordingly don't try introducing them to new words (like "Linux") which
you/they can only define or understand by referring to old words (like
"Microsoft" or "Windows"). Ignore everything about Linux and Red Hat (or
whichever distribution, just so Phil et al don't get up-in-arms)!

Restrict your presentation/justification to the tools that will be
employed, viz Squid and Apache - or better still use functional names,
eg proxy server and web server. Then you can concentrate on telling them
what a proxy server does and why it will be such a good idea in the new
environment...

If you are buying a car and start talking 'Japanese' to someone who can
only see 'Detroit Iron' (substitute 'religious wars' in many other
topics here) then you only have yourself to blame for the resultant
headache!

Regards,
=dn

PS a block diagram showing the 'black boxes' and how the information
flows between them is even better than using lots of words, eloquent or
technically-elegant argument, or waving your arms around! (and if 'they'
use some other word to describe your meticulously worded concept, then
splat it down on the diagram and leave the paper with 'them' as a
"take-away".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk