[Gllug] OT: Network connection for home to cloud backup

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Thu Sep 16 10:10:00 UTC 2010

gvim wrote:
> I have recently had to inform a client of mine that his plan to have a home network fileserver backed up to a cloud service is unworkable because his home broadband deal typically has only 0.6Mbps upload speed. Obvious to us, maybe, but not to him. Is there a reasonably priced business-grade alternative anyone knows of which might suit his requirements?
>
> gvim

We run a offsite backup service for our SME business clients
(70%Win/30%Lin) backing up several terabytes of data in total and the
upload speed you mention is typical and no problem. It's not to a cloud:
it is to our own facility.

What *is* necessary, when there is more than say 20Gb of client data, is
to do a non-ADSL data sync to start off, using various techniques (eg,
USB drive transfer). Since most clients have more data than that, it's
usually how we start off.

It would sync over DSL eventually, as long as the daily diff does not
exceed the daily upload capability, but this is hardly elegant.

Once it's synced then the upstream can handle the daily diffs - or at
least it has so far.

One exception would be large incompressible files: movies, huge images,
etc. We exclude these from the off-site service.

We have not so far had any case of a DSL provider complaining about the
data upload volume (though most clients are on a business DSL service).

*This is not an offer or an advert - the service currently is only
available to our own client list (though this may change)*

--

James Roberts
Stabilys.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk