[Gllug] OT: Network connection for home to cloud backup

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Sep 16 07:32:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 21:56 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> I have already had a flyer from BT claiming that Fibre is already available
> in my area (Hornchurch).  I have a feeling that cabinet is right down the other
> end of my (quite long) road, so whether the maximum speed they are claiming
> is achievable remains to be seen.

Fibre based DSL services are rate adaptive just like pretty much all DSL
services now. That means the speed is dependent upon length and quality
of the line between you and the cabinet for FTTC services. This will
usually be a lot shorter than the distance between you and the exchange
though so the signal quality generally will be better.

> At present it seems to get this wonderful new service you have to go directly
> to BT.

No. Lots of ISPs (including UKFSN) are able to supply fibre based
services.

> I like to have just a plain and simple 'raw' connection where I can connect to
> any old port/IP-address!

In that case avoid BT.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk