[Gllug] Outlook exchange alternatives

Andrew Back andrew at osmosoft.com
Wed Sep 8 12:04:47 UTC 2010

On (11:41 08/09/10), Andy Millar wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 11:18 +0000, John Maclean wrote:
> > Chaps,
> >
> >  Are there any decent Outlook alternatives out there, preferably open? Compiling a list of options right now and happy to share it once complete. Essentially, the calendar is the main problem.
>
> Evolution "Just Works(tm)".

If by works you mean crashes often (well, for me, on Ubuntu and Debian).

I use Davmail to proxy between OWA and standards based protocols.

http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

Then I use Mutt for mail and with lbdb integration for GAL lookups. When I
receive an e-mail with a '.ics' attachment or just need to update my
calendar, I fire up Thunderbird with the Lightning plug-in (CalDAV ->
Davmail -> OWA).

I really wish Wyrd/Remind supported CalDAV, as with this then also
integrated with Mutt I could live entirely in Curses Land.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Back