[Gllug] PERL/Nagios Experts

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Sep 11 10:04:11 UTC 2010

On 11 Sep 2010, John Hearns outgrape:
> I read about an Android App which sends notification of calls and
> SMSes to your desktop.
> At the risk of igniting a Gnome/KDE flame war, there are notification
> mechanisms for the desktop these days. As a general question, how does
> Festival tie into these,
> ie. can you easily get it to say "New email - subject is XXXX"
> I bet the answer is dead simple - ie install Festival and click on
> some menu item to configure!

Ask someone who's not still stuck on kde3 :) but, yes, festival is a
universally-supported backend to accessibility engines, but this isn't
really an accessibility use, so the best support I've seen is using
knotify's ability to run arbitrary programs to cat something into
/dev/speechd and run the speechd daemon (which itself connects to a
copy of festival).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk