[Gllug] PERL/Nagios Experts

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 11 08:00:09 UTC 2010

On 11 September 2010 01:40, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> Can't you shove something through festival --tts, or speechd, or
> something else connecting to festival? Why bother with coded sounds
> when you can have the machine speak to you?
>
> (yes, I have done this. After the first few times when everyone
> acts shocked and falls around laughing, it works quite well.
> Hell, I have it speak my email subject lines to me these days.)

Good call!

I read about an Android App which sends notification of calls and
SMSes to your desktop.
At the risk of igniting a Gnome/KDE flame war, there are notification
mechanisms for the desktop these days. As a general question, how does
Festival tie into these,
ie. can you easily get it to say "New email - subject is XXXX"
I bet the answer is dead simple - ie install Festival and click on
some menu item to configure!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk