[Gllug] moving system from one disc to another

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Wed Sep 1 14:08:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 01:43:18PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> This takes advantage of the fact that you can create a degraded RAID1
> with only one disk by declaring the other disk as "missing" (see
> mdadm(8) CREATE MODE).  You can always add the old disk into the RAID
> once you've got the data off it, to protect the OS on the system -- I
> normally create a volume group for raided stuff, and another for
> non-raid, and stick stuff like polipo caches on the un-mirrored bit of
> the bigger disk.

LVM supports mirroring, and pv moving so you can just use PV move to
migrate the data while the computer is active or you can use lvconvert to
make the lv device a mirror. mirror to the new disk then break the mirror
all online. Also with LVM you can you use the snapshot service so you can
dd/dump  a ordered copy of the disk while keeping it online.

I agree with /boot and / on real disk partitions having root on LVM can be a
nightmare!

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk