[Gllug] PERL/Nagios Experts

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Sep 11 00:40:38 UTC 2010

On 10 Sep 2010, John Hearns uttered the following:

> Instead of parsing an email, I would get the Nagios server to alert by
> playing the sound on your server directly.
>
> Define a new notification method, which is a script to play a sound.
> The choice of sound is made dependent on the hostname of the system
> which is in trouble.

Can't you shove something through festival --tts, or speechd, or
something else connecting to festival? Why bother with coded sounds
when you can have the machine speak to you?

(yes, I have done this. After the first few times when everyone
acts shocked and falls around laughing, it works quite well.
Hell, I have it speak my email subject lines to me these days.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk